Thursday, March 1, 2012

Slaughter

By Mr. Tropnevad

Summary

Former Green Beret, Slaughter (Jim Brown) wants to seek revenge on the mob for killing his parents. While looking for information on the killers the Feds contact him and inform him that the mobsters are in Mexico. Now with help from the Feds, Slaughter travels to Mexico to get his revenge and he will let nothing stand in his way.


What I Expected

I have never seen Slaughter, but I have seen Slaughters Big Rip Off the sequel to this. If this is anything like the sequel I am expecting some crazyness that is similar to Shaft, but not as good. I don’t mean that I expect this to be bad I just expect either bad acting or maybe bad directing, but deffintley not a terrible movie.

The Bad

I don’t know much about single engine planes, but I do know one thing and that is no small car is going to take on a single engine plane. That’s right this happens in the movie and it is ridiculous. Granted I am sure there is a way for the car to hit the plane from the side and stop it, but still the way they have the two vehicles colliding is just ridiculous.

Now I know this is a low budget movie, but when Slaughter meets up with the Feds the office they are in is ridiculous. I really think they filmed this scene in a back room because of all of the boxes and the unplugged refrigerator facing the wall. Not to mention the desk in there is a fold up table. This is so unrealistic and I was like why even meet in a crappy room likes this and why not just meet in a restaurant or a public park.

I don’t know what the director was thinking, but when any of the actors are in a fight or die the director thought it would be a good idea to have a wide angle view or a first person view. The camera angles in these scenes are probably the worst I have scene in any movie that have fighting going on. The times that these scenes happened I was so annoyed and couldn’t figure out why they would keep using these angles. There was one of the first person views that was so bad that they used it after a guy was shot. I didn’t care about the guy who was killed and the camera view from his eyes was just dumb.

There are two love scenes that slow down the movie and made me lose interest. I think they used the love scenes to help make the movie longer. Its not like anything important is going on in either scene. The two people are just laying there not talking and just cuddling. I was like either do something or get back to murdering people. I’m watching an action movie to see death and not sex, especially boring sex.

I was disappointed in the ending and was wanting more than just the mediocre ending. It was an ending that we have all scene before so many times and by the time it ended I just didn’t care anymore. I was like well you did your job, but I was expecting more than just you got your revenge and now you can go home.

The Good

There is good music throughout the movie and the intro music is awesome. I want the soundtrack.

Jim Brown does a great job in this as a smooth talking tough guy. He knows he is a badass and doesn’t have to brag about it. He doesn’t call women any derogatory names and he is always polite. He does call women, mama, but that was natural for smooth talking men of the 70s. I do think that he walked around without a shirt on to much though. I know the man has muscles and it’s the 70s but still he should wear a shirt more often. When he does dress he dresses to impress. His suit makes him standout in front of everyone and the movie emphasizes that he is the coolest cat in the movie.

I complained about the fight scenes in this movie having bad camera angles, but there is one scene in particular that was on a roof that looked good. There were no stupid camera angles and I was able to see the entire fight take place. Jim Brown did a good job in this scene along with everyone else. I could have dealt without the dialog though.

Overall Thoughts

While I know I had a lot of bad things to say about this I did actually enjoy it for what it was. I could see myself watching this again. While this is not a movie for everyone I do recommend this to anyone that is either a fan of blaxploitation or 70s action movies to check this out. This is something I would put in my movie collection.

Overall-Rent

No comments:

Post a Comment